Thursday, October 4, 2012

Art Prize 2012

Last Friday, I finally got to see Art Prize, and participate in Light the Night Grand Rapids.
First off, I love Downtown GR. The lights, the nightlife, the giant tireswing, the history, you name it! I can't wait until I graduate from college and hopefully find a job that allows me to work in Downtown GR. I'm not sure if I want to work in a place like this for my entire life, but right after college working in a place like this, why not!
Light the Night Grand Rapids was a performance entry for Art Prize. It was announced that it was in the Top 10 of 2012, meaning the event was eligible to win the grand prize of $200,000. It felt just like I was in Tangled! Unfortunately we couldn't keep the lanterns when they were lit because they were biodegradable, which I thought was a cool initiative for trying to make West Michigan more sustainable.
While I loved being able to participate in this event, I don't think it deserved to be in the Top 10. It seemed like this should be a traditional event, rather than an actual entry. There were other pieces of art I feel that should've been chosen. And as a general statement, there are some people who shouldn't be allowed to use fire.....


My favorite part of Art Prize is seeing all the different mediums of art. This year, I'm really inspired to enter my own photography for next year! Even if I don't stand a chance, I can still share my vision and my experiences behind the lens of my camera, which is one of my favorite places to be.


At this point of my life, I'm a sucker for anything with elephants or related to Africa. It makes me miss Malawi so much. I've also been asked by a lot of people to speak about my adventures in Malawi, which makes me miss it more.