Thursday, September 6, 2012

Are you cute or ugly?

I'm already two weeks into my junior year of college. I feel so old, especially looking at the freshman. I never realized how much of a difference two years could make!
Even though I'm not far into the semester, I've made one promise to myself for the year: be ugly......I should probably explain this more. During Orientation, we had a speaker named Joe Martin who is not only a college professor, he travels around the country speaking to numerous colleges!


He had numerous great points about how to survive college, and succeed while doing it too. One important note is that "college isn't a right, it's a privilege". No matter which college you were accepted to, it is an honor to be there, so make the most of your money and actually do well. And it doesn't matter what kind of a student you were in high school; it doesn't matter where you start, it's where you finish that matters. Colleges should care more about your potential than your problems.

His mother gave Joe one tip when going to college" don't fight ugly people. I know, sounds a little ridiculous right? But her reasoning is that ugly people have nothing to lose. Ugly people never give up or take "no" for an answer. He encouraged us to be the "ugliest" students on campus. They treat the word "no" as the word "next". And what others thinks about you is none of your business!

He goes on to talk about distractions being the hardest part of college, especially the cute and ugly people.
Here are the main differences between cute people and ugly people:
~ cute people get lost easily
~ cute people get by
~ cute people get worried
~ cute people don't get help

I think this is why I had such a hard time during my first semester of sophomore year of college. I was being cute, not ugly. I kept worrying about what others thought of me, and didn't get help until the last minute. I will not make this mistake again. I will be on the "ugliest" students on campus this year at Aquinas!