Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Cabin Fever


I’m not homesick; I’m sick of home. This was my unofficial catchphrase last summer.
I didn’t want to go back to Leelanau County AT ALL. I wasn’t talking with anyone really from my high school (well, enough that I still consider real close friends), I didn’t get the job I wanted and returned to the same pizzeria I’ve been at for far too long, etc. Not very many people understood why I felt this way, and frankly I didn’t get it either. I wanted to be back in Grand Rapids, see my friends, not worry about dealing with tourists, and having the freedom to do what I wanted without getting questioned by my parents. I managed to somewhat escape this “Cabin Fever” by making mini-road trips around the state to visit friends.
And lo and behold, that feeling is back! And can you blame me? After returning from Africa, it was nice being at home and having the luxuries that were clearly absent, such as cold milk for my cereal and being able to drive. Although, the Internet really isn’t any better compared to Africa……
Sadly, with my college summer schedule and working full-time, I don’t think I’ll have enough time to travel as much as last year. However, it is summer! I usually take the warm, sunny weather for granted at work (500 degree over and no air conditioning, you do the math), but I’ve decided I want to give my two weeks’ notice a bit earlier this year than usual. Usually I “quit” a few days before I officially move back to GR for school, but I want to give myself a breather before I go back this year. There are a lot of things I still need to do before I officially move back, which most of it happens in August a few weeks before I leave anyway: make money, pass my biology course, see my brother, etc.
While I won’t be doing as much traveling, I do want to travel more around Leelanau County and Traverse City and enjoy what might be my last summer here. And while getting a paycheck is nice, money isn’t everything and I won’t be able to enjoy my final weeks indoors with a giant pizza oven.