Monday, June 25, 2012

I Know How you Feel (or Do I?)

"Every cloud has a silver lining"
"It gets better"
"I'm here for you"
"I know your pain"
"Man that sucks"

I've always have a hard time with these phrases. I mean, my life doesn't suck, and I really do love it. But there are definitely those days when nothing seems to go your way or bad news can ruin a day. And sometimes, no one knows how I'm feeling.

I recently came across some awful news about a friend. I'd rather not go into details about it, but please keep your prayers open for her right now. It's one of those situations where you want to tell someone that "things will be better, I know how you feel". But honestly, I don't know how to handle this......I've never been through what she's going through.
We're told to show more empathy to those who need a shoulder to cry on, but how can we do this without making them feel more awful? I'm the kind of person who is very cautious about what to say, in the fear I might upset someone or hurt their feelings.
When I'm having a bad day, lately I've been turning to the Bible for inspiration and comfort. I guess the only thing I can really say is that I will be here for you; whether it's a shoulder to cry on or a pair of ears to listen. Also, know that God is offering the same thing. And sometimes, bad things happen to good people.

Pslam 50:15 "and call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me."

Tionana 
~ Jenn 
P. S. I've decided to add a sign-off/signature after each post for future entries. It translates to "see you later" in Chichewa. Enjoy!