Wednesday, June 6, 2012

It's Now or Never....

I keep seeing YOLO everywhere I look. It was catchy the first time, but I mean seriously? It's getting really old now. I see it in every other #hashtag, photo album title, and tattoo (now that's pushing it too far!).
Obviously, like any other person I want to make this summer memorable. I think part of it is a success since I came back from Africa and now have wonderful memories and stories about Malawi. But what about post-Africa? What am I suppose to do this summer that will compare to Africa?
One phrase: it's now or never.
I haven't exactly been a rebellious person before, and I'm not one now. But I have done some things recently that I wouldn't expect myself to have done around this time last year, such as:
~my trip to Africa
~ getting tickets to see Josh Turner
~ preparing for my new house in GR in July
~ deciding to quit work earlier than normal this summer (don't worry, I'm still employed. I'm just figuring out when I want to say 'Peace out Roman Wheel')
~ designing future tattoos
~ sorting through my clothes a ton and deciding what I'll actually want to wear again in the future
~ getting my nose pierced!
Most of what inspired my summer catchphrase "Now or Never" came yesterday when I got my nose pierced. Originally, I went it to look at prices and see if I could schedule an appointment. However, they said I could just walk in anytime I wanted to get it done. I thought it over for a few minutes and realized, "you know, if I leave now, I might not have the courage to come back". So I went for it and now I have an awesome new nose stud as seen above!
I've been debating this decision for the longest time, whether or not to get one. When I graduate from college and actually get a real job (you know the kind that requires a degree and doing something I love) then I'll take it out, or if I'm lucky they'll let me keep it. But for the next two years, I'm going to cherish having this thing and living it up while I still can! Don't get me wrong my life isn't boring, it just doesn't have as many defining moments as much as I would like it to have.
I know I only live once, and clearly the whole world knows this too. But it takes something more than just a stupid motivational phrase to do something, it takes courage. And for someone like me, if I don't get the courage to do something right this instant, it may never come again. So this summer, I will be more courageous, try new things, live life to the fullest, keep an open mind, and not be afraid of anyone or anything that might ruin my day!