Saturday, June 23, 2012

Playing Fudgie

Yesterday I had a day off, and what better way to spend it than going to Mackinac Island for the day?

This was my third time visiting the island; I went in 5th grade with my class, and again when I was 14 with my family. This time, I went with my friend Zander & his family (plus a few Irish guests) from Indiana who were visiting Northern Michigan for the week.
Yet another early start to my day, however I'm starting to get use to waking up earlier. I met with them in Cadillac and we drove from there. Even though this place is kind of a tourist trap (okay it is), I still love coming to the island and not having to deal with cars. Although I could've gone without the horse poop....
One thing that was different was I got to visit St. Anne Catholic Church. One of the priests from my childhood, Fr. Rey, was assigned here after he served at my church. Unfortunately I found out he retired so I couldn't see him, but there was an unexpected friend I did get to see! My friend Chelsie from AQ/Arete is working on the island this summer. What an unexpected surprise!
My favorite part of the trip was seeing this caption about Mackinac Island. I also found a great bible quote on the wall: Pslam 18:2 "The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower."
It was a long day that's for sure, and filled with a painful sunburn, but I was so glad to go and very grateful Zander's family allowed me to "be adopted by them" for the day.
Mackinaw Bridge, hard to believe it's 5 miles long!

I could've gone without smelling or trying to avoid the horse poop in the roads today...

Originally, this was the path to get to Arch Rock by foot, stairs are destroyed due to a landslide










St. Anne's Catholic Church

love volleyball ♥

how great of a view is this?

Arch Rock





Grand Hotel: now on the bucket list to stay here one day!

gotta love a good Harry Potter reference :)