Friday, July 27, 2012

Go Big Or Go Home

My desire to go abroad again hasn’t changed. In fact, I want to go again even more! I'm also open to the idea of moving to another state next summer. I know this will be my last summer home, but I don’t know what I want to do………
I do have a few ideas, such as what internships I might want to apply for or possibly another study-abroad trip. Part of me wants to play it safe and apply to places in Traverse City or Grand Rapids, knowing that I’ll have a place to live and I’ll know the area. But another part of me wants to explore and step out of my comfort zone again.
I’ve been talking with my mom about this for a while. It’s safe to say I settled this summer and played it safe by going back to the same job I’ve had for the past five years (well, technically four but it’s kind of complicated; I’ll explain another day) and finally take my science lab requirement.
This is the advice she offered my brother Mike when he applied to work with the Oakland A’s: go big or go home.
I’m known for my drive and dedication for anything I set my mind to, but what’s the point in having these qualities if I’m not willing to take a risk every once in a while? Money isn’t everything, and for the past few summers my decisions on what I want to do with my life have been revolved around these questions:

Will I make enough money?
How much will it cost?
Can I do what I want and still make money?
Will this affect my future?
How much do I have to work?

Being in Africa, it has made me think of what I really need in my life, things such as friends, my family, and preferably a decent Internet connection to keep in touch no matter where I go. While having money is nice, it’s not what I want to be a deciding factor for the rest of my life. That’s how I chose Aquinas in the first place, and while I don’t regret that decision, part of me will always wonder what would’ve happened if I didn’t decide to go to Aquinas like the rest of my family…..
I want to see the world and know what my purpose in life is, even if that means taking a few years to discover myself in order to do so. Everyone tells me I’m destined for greatness, but I can’t figure that out for myself unless I start searching for ways that I can be great, and reach my Arete.

Tionana,

Jenn