Wednesday, January 18, 2012

SOPA & PIPA Dilema

I have an opinion. It might not be as "out there" as others, but I still have one. I take advantage of sites like Facebook, Twitter, and of course my lovely blog, to express what I'm thinking. Beats a personal diary right? Although I know the difference and there are some things that I would never post online.

However, that doesn't mean I don't support others who want to express their freedom on the Internet. There's a big conflict going on with two potential bills called SOPA & PIPA. I'm not an expert on it, but I know that not very many people want them to pass, as do I. This youtube video can help explain it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rBiZC2gFoY8

The one thing that irks me the most about this is the censorship. I agree that piracy over the Internet should be stopped, but not this way. As I mentioned earlier I'm In high school, if you were different or had a different idea then you were frowned upon. That's what I love about college: even though you don't agree with the administration at times, you can fight it. You're not censored.

I remember freshman year when a speaker named Stacey Chin was cancelled, the campus was furious. I'm not sure if I would've gone to see her, but the fact that it seemed like her event was cancelled because she was a Lesbian didn't seem right. Of course she got cancelled because of not scheduling her in the right way, but it just sounded too much like previous events that didn't seem like a coincidence. There was a posting on our online newsfeed about why she was cancelled and everyone commented (myself included) about how unjust her cancellation was.

That was the first time I felt that I really made a difference in not agreeing with what was happening. I mean, usually I just complain to my friends or under my breath, but actually doing something about it just felt empowering. i love being involved, and by being involved, I not only need to be informed, but I need to set an example and not be afraid to take risks or make others mad. By the looks of it the bills won't pass, but this won't be the last time Congress tries to do something like this. But I will continue to voice my opinion in any way I can and won't let something like censorship stop me.