Monday, January 2, 2012

I'll miss you big brother

Sorry it's been a while since I last posted, lots of things going on in my life. Namely, the new year and my brother moving to Oakland, CA. Normally as the first post of the year people reflect on how they want to keep their resolutions and how different the year promises to be. Since Mike is moving, that will be a big change in my life. He recently got a job working with the Oakland Athletics. Before he lived in Grand Rapids and worked a bunch of part time jobs.


I've been use to having him involved in some part of my life, mainly because the distance wasn't that far. I mean, it was a bit of a transition when he first moved to Grand Rapids; but now, he's three time zones away on the other side of the country.

I will miss having him live so close and being there to talk to, but he's on to greater things. Maybe I won't be referred to as Mike Kalchik's little sister? Probably not. I think the nickname/reputation will still stick regardless if he's at Aquinas or not. Besides, there's still one more brother I have to associate myself with (just kidding, somewhat).

But this move can be a good thing for me as well: I need to start taking on the world and putting myself out there (as well as growing a spine and speaking my mind). Mike is going to a new area where he knows no one, which makes him a perfect example of wisdom and guidance for what the future holds for me. I've had the philosophy with my brothers that "anything you can do I can do better". If he wasn't the first kid in our family to make the push to move, I'm not sure if I would have the guts to move to another state.

Even though we don't live as close to each other, you're still an important person in my life. I'm not sure where I'd be, including Aquinas, without your influence.