Monday, February 20, 2012

No longer sick of home

There was a saying I would always point out during the summer: I'm not homesick, I'm sick of home. I've been living in the same area my entire life. An area famous for cherries and most recently, the Sleeping Bear Dunes, it's a beautiful area to grow up. I've only moved once, and that was only down the street to my grandparents old house. The area I live in, Leelanau County, is absolutely gorgeous there's no question. Each season has it's unique perks.






If I had to choose: my favorite seasons would be spring and fall. Easily because of the colors of fall and the cherry and apple blossoms in spring. It's also a nice time to just relax and go outside without having to worry about the weather or tourists.
As much as I love my hometown, I wish there were more people my age. It's mainly an area for retired couples and tourists, so it doesn't appeal for much of a younger crowd or late night activities compared to Grand Rapids. And don't even get me started with the tourists. You start to wonder why they even bothered to come here if they didn't know how unique the area is that doesn't really have cell service or WiFI, much less any real signs of typical human activity compared to other cities.
Even with these flaws, I still love the area. I don't think I'll end up living there again, but I would love to visit as often as I can. And luckily my parents most likely will not be moving anytime soon, so that gives me the perfect reason to visit the area.
While most people will be going south where it's warm and sunny, I will be returning to my home, Leelanau County. And I couldn't be happier.