Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Who are we? AQ!

I finally got a confirmation e-mail for the Orientation Team for 2012. My freshman orientation was definitely something to remember: meeting my roommate for the first time, Project Unite, my first weekend at college, etc.


Having such a great experience during Orientation made me want to be a leader. At first when I applied, I was put on staff rather than being an actual leader, but due to some last minute circumstances I had to be promoted to leader. A happy accident that was totally worth it. I met so many other OLs and made new friends as well. It was also great getting to know others that I only knew by face and name.

It's also nice seeing my freshman orientees around campus every once in a while. Knowing that they're still attending Aquinas and making a difference means I did something right as a leader. It was one of my first real leadership opportunities where I was a role model. After that experience, I took on more leadership roles on campus, such as being the treasurer of two different clubs taking the initiative to study abroad in May.

I like staying involved. Oddly enough, it keeps me sane. I love it when I can see someone I know and they recognize me, say hi, or whatever based on how they know me. Granted, sometimes I wish people knew me for something different, but I wanted to go to a school where I wasn't just a number, and Aquinas is the perfect place that makes all the difference.

Another reason why I'm so excited about Orientation is the incoming freshman class. One of these students is possibly coming from my old high school. While I didn't know him as well then, it'll be nice seeing yet another familiar face on AQ's campus.
Congrats to all the returning and newcoming Orientation Leaders. To the future freshman, you will be in good hands with these guys during your Orientation Week, I promise.