Monday, April 23, 2012

Journey of Life

Serenity Prayer:
"God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannto change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference."

It's the start of Exam Cram. I'm not as worried about my exams as usual. I'm getting more worried about other useless things: flying on a plane, finding a job for next fall, and of course, my accounting class. I spend most of my time worrying about the future that I sometimes forget how far I've come in my life so far, especially from one year ago.
At this time last year, I was getting ready for my oldest brother Mike to graduate, trying to grow my hair out from a previous bad haircut, preparing for my first summer away from college, that kind of stuff. I had a general idea of what I wanted to do that year in the future, but let's be honest, I wasn't expecting much of myself. I got cocky, assuming everything would work out without putting much thought or effort into ii. I was very reluctant of my summer job (as my manager put it "bitter", ugh I hate that word) and having to live at home away from my friends in college. Of course I had hopes and dreams, but they were nothing compared to now.
Looking back on all that has happened so far this year, it's hard to believe how much I've truly changed in just one year. Everyone says the first year of college is when you start to grow up, but for me, I don't think that was the case at all. It was mostly this year, my sophomore year, when I realized what I have to offer the world and what I want to potentially do with my life. I've been more grateful for things in my life, and learned that not everything is going to go your way. People have always said that but I'm starting to realize just how true it actually is. Don't get me wrong I still don't fully know what I want to do with the rest of my life, but I do know what I don't want to do and that I need to be my own person, so that's a start.....
Of course I have had some difficult times this past school year: a horrid living situation the first part of the year, losing some good friends, not getting to be on court for Michigan Apple Queen, accounting (yes it's that bad), losing my dog Mac, having my brother move all the way across the country for a job, etc. But even through those hardships, my faith in both God and myself have guided me through those difficult times. I've met new people in my life who not only challenge me, but also teach me to be a better person. With God's help, I've grown (and will still grow) in courage, wisdom, and acceptance.