Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Gift of All: A Community of Givers

I've been in Grand Rapids for about two years, and I'm starting to remember all of the famous names that are usually associated with this area: Meijer, DeVos, Hauenstein, Wege, Cook, etc. I'm working on a paper for my Humanities class on how the philanthropy of Grand Rapids relates to the philanthropy during the Renaissance in Florence, Italy.
At first I wasn't too thrilled about choosing the topic, but as soon as I found this video online, I was excited about really learning more about Grand Rapids and how its known for its tradition of giving, volunteerism, and philanthropy. It's a bit time consuming I will admit, but I highly recommend watching this video. It was a real eye-opener that I can't even describe. The idea is that if you help others, eventually they will help you. Help can either be extrinsic, such as money, or intrinsic, which is a reward in and of itself.

This is a four minute preview I found. If you want to watch the whole thing, click on the link below:

http://learningtogive.org/videos/gift_of_all_512K.asp