Saturday, March 31, 2012

Sophomore Pinning Ceremony

My certificate for my Sophomore declaration of my major with my friend Katie (left), looks really legit!

Last night I went to The Students In Action Awards. This event was to honor those Outstanding Students (Fr, So, & Jr), the annual Sophomore Pinning for students who have declared their academic majors, and the Dean's List Ceremony. In addition, they also payed tribute to all of the great programming that occurred in conjunction with the 125th anniversary and highlight key student leaders (resident assistants and orientation leaders).

I mainly went because I declared my major: Communication and Business Administration with a minor in Marketing. I was also honored as an Orientation Leader in 2011 and will serve as an Orientation Leader again this fall.

The Sophomore Pinning at Aquinas isn't that old. Here's a press release of what exactly it is: "this event celebrates the many achievements each student attains in completing the first two years of their bachelors degree at Aquinas. With those important achievements comes a very important decision in a student’s life; the declaration of their majors and minors. The next few years at Aquinas will be based around these selected courses of study and most likely their chosen careers. The Pinning Ceremony officially welcomes a student into their chosen academic discipline and to commemorate this, each participating student will receive a pin that will serve as a reminder of this momentous step in their lives."

I still can't believe I'm nearly half-way done with my undergrad years as a college student! It's gone by sooooo fast it seems like. It's hard to believe how much has truly changed about my views, and myself, in such a short amount of time. Some of the things I've done I couldn't imagine actually doing, let alone succeeding, if I wasn't at Aquinas.
While the tough decision to sell my soul towards an actual degree/career has been difficult, one thing that wasn't was deciding to go to Aquinas. I knew this place was where I could really make a difference and where I truly belong.