Monday, March 26, 2012

Small Changes That Make A Big Difference


I'm currently working on a paper comparing the philanthropy of Grand Rapids to the philanthropy during the Renaissance in Florence, Italy. I haven't found much information yet on Florence, but I've found numerous sites for information about Grand Rapids (one of which is a documentary I will finish watching soon and post about).


I discovered a book called "The Better World Handbook". I borrowed this book from my friend Sydne hoping to find information about philanthropy. I found not only the information I needed, but so much more. It focuses on building a better world based on Seven Foundations:
  1. Economic Fainress
  2. Comprehensive Peace
  3. Ecological Sustainability
  4. Deep Democracy
  5. Social Justice
  6. Simple Living
  7. Revitalized Community
I haven't finished it yet, blame my busy schedule. But I've had the chance to skim through it and it was quite the page turner. It shows how one person really can change the world, even in little ways that might seem meaningless. I was quite surprised that some of the things I was already doing are manking a difference. Here are the Top Ten Actions for a Better World:
  1. Buy products from socially responsible companies
  2. Buy a low emission, fuel efficient car
  3. Eat less meat
  4. Open an account at a socially responsible bank or credit union
  5. Conserve energy and water
  6. Buy less stuff
  7. Limit your work time
  8. Get to know your neighbors
  9. Watch less TV
  10. Join an organization you care about
I've been debating on what exactly I would like to do with my degree and my two majors once I leave college, whether it's work for an advertising firm, work for Disney World, etc. But whatever I decide to do, I want to make a difference (which just happens to be the motto for Aquinas College). It only takes one person with a goal to make a difference in the world, and I want to be that difference.