Monday, August 27, 2012

Hooray!

8/25/12

It's already the last day of Orientation!?!?!?!? Wow, time sure does fly. I'm going to miss seeing these guys everyday. But hey, it is Aquinas, so I'll run into them eventually.

@hbloomhall: Look at these dedicated class of 2016 students at the last day of orientation!
 
@jnnfrklchk: Brunch: the most importnat meal of the day. serving it up Wege way

I am in love with brunch at Wege, well not entirely. I just love breakfast food. If it was an option, I would eat it for every meal of my life. Before brunch, there was an academic fair, where freshman and transfer students could explore different majors, as well as hear about a professor's expectations of their classes. I sat in on the Communication Department presentation (which makes sense since I'm a Communication Major). Most of the questions involved explanations for the major for: parents, peers, and also for oneself. It's funny, because I wasn't expecting to learn anything that I didn't already know, but this session reaffirmed my decision of being a Communication Major, and got me excited seeing all the potential additions to our Department!

After brunch, next was the First Year Monologues. I loved the new additions to the Monologues! They seemed more realistic, as well as personal. Chris Skurka, my OL partner, and the other actors in this production did a fantastic job!

@AquinasCollege: Last day of orientation! RT : Hooray! with !

Now, one of my favorite parts of Orientation: Hooray! Basically it's this giant icebreaker with every freshman, RA, OL, etc. I got to be one of the dance crew members during breaks, which if I may say so myself, I'm pretty good at "The Cupid Shuffle". Okay, it's a pretty easy dance if you know how to follow directions....

@skurkalicious: Badass CRE drawings.

@jnnfrklchk: Regina's Special is the best group. I know they will do great things at AQ :)

We talked about the common read experience, which was "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian". This was my favorite common read by far, I wish we had this book when I was a freshman. This was the perfect book to help everyone get in the mood for Pond Reflection. 
Pond Reflection is by far my favorite part of all of Orientation. It is very calming and allows you to open up to people who use to be strangers but are now friends. I won't discuss what happened in my group, but I came very close to crying. Imagine how much of a basket case I will be next year when it's my last year as an Orientation Leader. I don't even want to think about it!

@hbloomhall: Eric oShea killin it at tonight's comedy show! Thanks AQPB!

@macattack616: I will never listen to "I'm Already There" the same ever again, thanks to Eric O'Shea. Great way to close out Orientation 2012!

The last event of Orientation 2012 was a comedian named Eric O'Shea. His Elmo impersonation is absolutely fantastic! I also love his commercial music; I will never be able to take some of these songs seriously ever again....

Now begins the recovery of my voice, my sleep pattern, and not worrying about being excited for every little thing! I can't wait to see my Orientees across campus being the best they can be. It's hard to believe how much of a first impression OLs and RAs really make; we're their first impressions of upperclassmen. That might be a big responsibility, but seeing them grow throughout the year, it's totally worth it. I can't believe I only have two more years left at Aquinas, but I will make these two years the best years of my life. I hope to inspire, travel, discover, and grow as a person before I step out into the real world. 

Tionana,

Jenn