Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Orientation Leaders: you'll bring honor to us all

8/22/12

@hbloomhall: In 24 hrs the class of '16 makes their home at AQ! The OL's r ready! ! Welcome ! !

Hooray! It's the last day of training for Orientation! It's bittersweet, but I'm eager and ready to meet my Orientees.

@matthewjesnek:We don't stagger round here! Record!!!!

I've noticed I keep showing up to breakfast later each day. Either I'm too tired to wake up early or I need to bike faster to training. I think the one thing I will miss most about living on campus will be Wege. It was a love.hate relationship, but the convenience and the people made up for that. Today some of the OLs tried to see how many people can fit around a table (meanwhile, my friend Josh and I photobombed since we couldn't fit around the table).

@AquinasCollege: Say hello to our 2012 Orientation Leaders!


@jnnfrklchk: Oh I just can't wait to be Orientation Leader

We prepared our classrooms this morning. Our groups also went through different icebreakers that we can use in our groups. To prepare our classroom, we made our beach ball of questions and sung Disney songs. No matter what age you are, nothing beats a Disney Sing A Long. 

@jnnfrklchk: epic rock paper scissors on Holmdene Lawn

Now it wouldn't be Orientation without icebreakers right? So, we got to learn more ice breakers! There was 1, 2, 3, Die (don't worry, not literally die), Rock Paper Scissors Baseball (there's another name for it but I have absolutely no idea how to spell it), and Slack Jack.
My favorite part of Orientation is Silent Affirmation. You stand in a circle and close your eyes. Several volunteers stand in the circle and are asked to touch the shoulder of someone who "inspired them this week", "wish you knew better", "glad you met", "will be a great leader", etc. It's nice to know that people do care about you.

Now, I will sleep, relax, and prepare for my Orientees to move in tomorrow!